Friday 17 February 2012

The Kings of Spring

Starting about now, I follow NCAA lacrosse.  I wear a Johns Hopkins lacrosse jacket etc.  Go Jays !
The beginnings go back to 1965 or so when Sports Illustrated represented the way I got sports news. JHU was in the process of dominating or had dominated lax for some time.  story line reads " small liberal arts / science school goes up against the big bad schools of the east. " I was hooked.  followed JHU in the news when I could.
 Then around 2003, I was looking for an outlet as I retired and decided , finally, I could go watch the Jays play at Homewood Field in the spring ( once ). Well, my record is 13 - 3 when seeing the Jays live.  I witnessed losses to Princeton ( ugly )  Syracuse (we got man handled ) and Navy ( real ugly ).  however, that is a pretty good record. Except JHU wins in the late season April - May and their coach Petriemala has a solid record himself.
Of course , the year I drove twice to Baltimore to watch the Jays play at Homewood, was the first NCAA title since 1987. I was treated to a dominating defensive team with good speed but great lacrosse skills - I was mesmerized and still am.
To-night, in their home opener at Homewood, the Js beat in town rivals Towson w/ their new coach Shawn Nadelen.
So, another three months of suspense and more suspense - the Jays never do it the easy way.

Oh, " the Kings of Spring " was an advertising slogan for NCAA lacrosse, must have been thought up at Anheuser Busch or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment