Wednesday 9 January 2019

books / music and now

for 2019
and vat else

Exercise should go on as it has.
When I bought the elliptical on the advice of the orthopaedic surgeon and the physio clinic that he runs
I sorta promised that I would give it a real try.
The ortho told me to forget the stationary bike and treadmill.
Keep the knee moving and back off if I got pain. The plan was softer, shorter or less intense but somehow keep moving. I recall that the ortho was examining my knee and upper and lower leg. Ortho looks up and says ' don't worry I'm not creepy or anything but I get to feel muscle so infrequently that I forget what normal is '.
That was back in 2003, the spring. I was trying for a 10 yr window where I would keep exercising.

And I'm on my second elliptical. The first lasted 5 years and I thought that that was amazing. There had been so issues early on w/ the ' scoreboard ' or display but it was a scoreboard, really. No maintenance b/c I didn't want to open her up. The alpha model started to make clanking sounds ( soft ) and I figured 5 yrs at 200 rides a year - bingo thats my money's worth.

The beta version of the elliptical cost a tad more 5 years later but........... you guessed it
takes a licking and keeps on not ticking or making bad sounds.

Speaking of backing off, my new pattern is 3 days on and 1 day off for rest. That is a departure from ' go for 6 days and see if you can make 9 w/out a aching knee '

No comments:

Post a Comment