Saturday 5 January 2019

For the Year 2019

I was rather busy over the 2 nd , 3 rd and 4 th.

I'm considering the story of my life. 

In the ' Ghost and the Darkness ', the character Remington ( great white hunter ) mentions how fast life goes by but more importantly how events blur. To wit, the memorable sunset, a phenomenal meal etc - these all fade or are obscured by the now or time.

I'm recalling good reads and how, maybe at one time that I might have extolled :
' the Fires of Spring ' by Michener ( ? )
' the Red and the Black '  by Stendahl

' the Lord of the Rings ' JRR Tolkien

' the Instrumentalities of the Night ' by Glen Cook
this last, of course, is the current favourite.

However, I'm being strongly pulled toward the novels of Guy Gavriel Kay. especially ' the Last Light of the Sun ' b/c it may have been the best but was the first.
The novel that introduced me to the writing of GGK.

And it is not wrong to measure my life in books. I'm not necessarily a fanatical follower of any of the above but interested and intrigued.
Furthermore, when parents ask me how to make sure their child succeeds in school, I always say ' make them love books '. Read for the love of reading.
Of course, I'm backed by countless academics and authorities that consider reading a fundamental fundamental - the basis of learning.


No comments:

Post a Comment