Monday 21 February 2022

Whad Up ? dude

 OK, grammatically and culturally skewed

How are you, this morning ? I awoke at 5:30 AM. I read M's novel, a crime episode. I wasn't supposed to co -read w/ her but rather get my own book BUT it was lying there - honest !

The day is ' melty ' and rain is due, all day it seems.

My going to bed routine, now involves, listening to tapes - such as the ' Adventures of Sherlock Holmes '. This tryout is going poorly. I can only stand the noise for ten minutes or so. The first episode was            ' Scandal in Bohemia '.

I'm using the big laptop - the Dell 17 ", right now. Yes, purchased in 2010 - to replace the desk PC, that was old and slow and glitchy.

This transition was well planned out. The desk PC cost $ 2 000. And a lot of re-adjustment through the years. Looking back, a waste of space. however, I saw the end coming, two years before, and yes, bought the Dell as a compromise. A full size laptop, and portable. Crikey !. I lugged the bleedin' anchor to England and Florida.

Finally, the moment arrived. Dump the desk PC and substitute the Dell. Overall, the Dell was faster, more storage and as easy to use < full size keyboard > as the desk monster.

Not w/out some hassle involving software and some peripherals i.e. the printer. I solved the printer issue w/ a HP brand printer. Flawless, as far as I could tell. ( and it gave out a year and half ago ).

And I saw that jump coming and had bought a e Machine. Light and fast. Oops ! Never quite worked, as planned. A $ 130 error of sorts. The e- Machine tried its best - a sad effort. I pumped another $ 130 into that puppy. 

I bolted to a HP Chromebook and have never looked back. Unfortunately, I've been dragged into the Chrome OS world and Google - Swallowed is likely more appropriate. however, the Microsoft world is almost as invasive and proprietary.

There is an out here. If you are willing - you can switch to a Linux or other platform. Way less exclusive and open source. I don't think that I've got the smarts to make that change.

The problem is that, this is the Dell typing and its convenient. I'm picky enough to want a full size keyboard. The first Dell Chromebook is alright, it was $ 300 and has held up nicely. The keyboard is comfortable. A basic model, student proof. Drop resistant, spill resistant. Tough and utile, are the bywords

The ' Duet ', my second Chromebook, was $ 300 and change. For me, fast and powerful. Its a typewriter - search engine. The keyboard got spilled on and replaced by a 3/4 plug in keyboard < much better >. the Duet keyboard is working but its ' awful '. I know you're thinking - why diidn't you spill on the Dell student proof job - duh !

I'm saying - the little laptops and tablets really don't do too much for me. The upshot is, that I'm lugging a peripheral keyboard most places, from now on. 'nuff said.

{ BTW, the background music is YouTube, my playlist - Bonnie Raitt and Bruce Hornsby, ' I Can't Make You Love Me ' FANTASTIC sound }

Follow up. Caught. M knew that I read her book. Drats ! " Go get your own !!!! " was heard.

Lunch was takeout Chinese from Skyland -plus sushi, fried chicken and spring rolls. Crikey. Everything is on sale at Skyland hot counter.



No comments:

Post a Comment