Sunday 1 September 2013

Recommending

Going out on a limb here

Fiddling w/ YouTube , listening to Billy Vaughn , why ? Dunno. Used to love Billy Vaughn ( orchestra kind of thing )

Found a ' solo ' performance on the French horn. This guy plays 12 French Horn parts in a tribute to John Williams. Its not hard to take b/c its ' StarWars , Raiders of the Lost Ark etc '. He plays all 12 parts and wrote the arrangements himself.
On YouTube , type in  " 12 French Horns "
As well , in the sidebar , there was the ' Vienna Horns ' and the ' London Horn Sound ' , both were excellent.
I played French horn in school. My greatest triumph , was playing ' Wonderland by Night ' w/ no valves on the French horn.
Unfortunately , that was about all that I could play.

Sunday , was slow ... is slow. Firstly , sportswise , Alabama thumped Va Tech w/ no offense. Typical Bama job , too many moving parts for most teams. Offense goes slow , special teams add 14 points and the defence scores 7.

In soccer , Arsenal beat Tottenham. So , my Red teams are good to go this week end.

I've been cheering for Bama since 1962 , Bear Bryant etc. Didn't know anything about Alabama ,but there was a panache about a ' Crimson Tide '.
Arsenal , well , probably , 1970. To be fair , at this time the Gunners were winning frequently. But the " Gunners " of Highbury.
What an image.
I was / am in an English fog. 
I used to cook English recipes when I was 16. I loved ' Toad in the Hole ' , neat names . My education was an Imperial education. Our textbooks reflected a strong English bias. History , literature and language. I guess that I soaked it all up.
Now , with M's family located throughout England , its reinforced.

For a slow Sunday , what else could I do but make another clafoutis.
Used blueberries. Made a slight ' oops ' but it worked out. Tastes great.
The description of the clafoutis calls it , an treat for lazy summer days and a brunch. Or dessert. Perfecto , for to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment