Tuesday 10 November 2015

The Low Country

For our fishing week , beginning of Nov. , we drove to Niagara Falls Airport , caught the shuttle flight to Myrtle Beach and drove a rental car to Hilton Head Island.
Each day of our trip we started by catching shrimp and mullet for bait ( and jumbo shrimp to cook ). I'd love to tell you where we fished but could never be sure if I was right. The names Haig Point , Skull Creek and May R seem to be correct but we went to many locales to fish.
The area comprised Hilton Head Island , Beaufort and Bluffton which are all considered ' the Low Country '. I remember in the movie ' Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil ' , the host Jim Williams insisted on Low Country cooking.
The rigging was simple medium size rods and reels , braided line and jig heads. The bait was hooked onto the jig.
The redfish hit hard but several times we pulled the jig from the fishes mouth by being too aggressive.
By rough calculating , I was outfished by the other three 5 days out of six. My glory day saw 9 redfish come to the boat. However , I gave up my corner of the boat to let others try. And they caught fish too !

Weather in the s GWN , overcast and threat of rain , then sun to - morrow mostly and rain to follow Thurs. Temperatures are holding at above seasonal values.
Long range calls for relatively mild temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment