Sunday 8 June 2014

The Wheel Re-invented

... an example. Lest you think the above is a phase or just a bunch of words
I'm doing it right now. 
Approx 10 years ago , a Christmas present was a poker table top
The table is in 2 sections , each section folds , so that the table carries as 1 / 4 size in its own case
The table gets put away downstairs or as this week carried to someone else's house for a game - I lost

However , while packing up , the velcro strips that joined the sections ripped. Glue them in , you say , been there
So , in reality the re - glued strips peeled off.
As well ,the folds which were held to-gether by the fabric of the table top are separating as the fabric weakens

Smart money  ( as well as M ) says buy a new one
Nope.
Gonna fix the sucker

Plans have been drawn , to scale , I might add
Problems have become evident
W/out velcro , which could be replaced - how to hold the sections to- gether
Right now , I'm thinking of rods or pegs that extend into each 1 /2
How long ? What material ?

And the table that the poker surface sits on - is another re - invention
I found a tripod base on the street. I was gifted a poker table top ( hand made ) by a friend , the table top degraded over the years , fabric deteriorated , the legs never folded flat and the thing was heavy.
M bought the new poker table top for me. I stripped the old poker top down to a covered board.
I drilled holes so that the old poker board could attach to the tripod base and be knocked down w/ 4 wing nuts.
The new poker top was secured by long bolts joining the bottom board . The table , thus , collapsed to a tripod base and board plus folded poker table top. Neatly , stored in different places

So , in essence , I'm re - inventing , the re - invented.
See , story of my life

There is an easy way , I never do it
Recycle , re use - regret  No , I'm kidding 
there is some enjoyment there

I received an e - mail from Microsoft re: the new " Surface " i - Pad
The gist is that you can write on the screen as a paper product and the system stores your writing as a document
I'm sure there's much more
The cost is much more $ 800 plus for 64 Gb and a grand plus for 128 Gb

This week's By the Numbers topic was   ' Being Mobile-y Connected "

20       -   % increase in smartphone subscriptions esp China etc
30       -   % smartphone users as of all mobile phone users
38       -   %  African mobile internet usage ; 2x the North American                      rate
193     -   minutes / day Nigerians spend on their smartphones
124     -   minutes / day for Canadians on smartphones
51       -   minutes / day , Canadians spend on their tablets
115     -   minutes / day , Filipino use of tablet devices

Oops ! This house isn't even close -   no Surface in the future for this dude.

Weather : dreary and wind is rising Weatherboy isn't stupid , he's got his brolley out and the arrow is down

No comments:

Post a Comment