Friday 30 March 2012

2 great tragedies

" wanting something and getting it "

Finally, rented the " Rum Diary " by H.S. Thompson starring Johnny Depp. this after threatening M for two weeks that I would rent it.  Originally, I listened to the story on tape. Knowing absolutely nada about Thompson except rumour, I decided to buy the tape. I don't know what to say - it was okay. Way beyond anything I could ever do but then most things are. I felt this was Thompson's autobiography that I was hearing.
I'm watching the cast comments and they have confirmed the autobiography thing. Thompson advised on the film.
Generally, the movie conforms to the atmosphere and dynamic of the book. The cast laud the artistry and faithfulness to the book and Thompson himself. Sheesh, the movie lacks - power, it drifts, is this good ? b/c the characters really are drifting in Puerto Rico pre - Kennedy era.
Zip, the machine charged 2 $ CAD and I should have got change.

now, to be fair, my fav line from the tape got left out ( maybe, b/c I've watched the movie 4 times in split shifts, so I missed the line ?? )
" those times when splinters of luck made me feel like a hero " .

Hey, I join the modern age and drop my luddite label a bit.  We will likely buy a GPS to-day.
For you other luddites out there - Gallons Per Second " is GPS. Well, it might as well be for me. I figure I'll plug it in and loosely go through the motions of using it, occassionally taking advantage of a voice " turn left in 400 ft " instruction.  Now the plan is to take this GPS thingy to England. As in do you really want to haul 2 extra pounds across the " big water ". However, we could practice using the GPS here in Can-US and rent a GPS in England and at least we'd have some idea of how to use it there - rather than driving on the left and doing traffic circles and trying to figure out the GPS.  BTW - one feature of some GPS units is " eco " mode where the little man inside plans your route to save gas.
Ah, welcome to an  age of marvels, luddite ( no, I mean me , not you )

No comments:

Post a Comment