Tuesday 27 March 2012

Evolution of the Snail

For the rabid followers of the " 2sents... ", I received my ticket for the JHU v Md game. A reserved seat nr the press box and the Hopkins band ( its almost a real band, w/ instruments and loud noise, further to this later ) The reserved part is most important b/c there is a greater chance that I'll be surrounded by the Black and Blue faithful and not the other guys which is a real possiblity b/c they are only coming from ten miles away or so.

" Snail " ? Yes, snail mail. Inside the envelope from JHU Athletics is a nice form letter re: tickets and both a men's and women's schedule on a business card with a lithograph of Hopkin's male and female player. The envelope itself is interesting. The stamps are American, three of them w/ the Statue of Liberty and the U.S. flag. The return address is the JHU Athletic department and  " the Johns Hopkins University " name is across the top. They spelled my name wrong.  The whole thing feels exotic. I can't remember too many other letters this past year that seem that different that you would use the term exotic. Well, it is.
And I was thinking ( M panics a bit, when I say, " I was thinking ", the odd bit of nonsense escapes now and then ). e-mails no matter where from or who from could never have the same exotic feel. E-mails are too fast and too anonymous, although some people have the personal logo-thingy or their cursive name.  nope , def not the same.  So, thank you JHU athletic dept.

Recently, on CBC, yes, I listen a lot, the topic was the importance or not of cursive writing. Of course, there were good points pro and con. The two prime examples were:

1) A baking chef - teacher, commented that 1 in 4 students couldn't decorate a cake satisfactorily b/c they can't do cursive. Printing isn't the same as cursive.

2) A teacher- or - principal of a private school for Attention Deficit and students w/ some types of learning difficulties, said the cursive writing b/c of the flow or pattern made communicating on paper easier for their students. Apparently, yes, typing for some students could work, legibility increased and neatness for sure. However, typing requires formulating a message in advance before you type i.e. its difficult to pre-process for some learners. Cursive is much faster and even soothing.
Soothing the last word that I would expect for cursive. Mainly, I'm surprised b/c my cursive is poor. I print and cursive, a hybrid writng. Also, I stink at typing. I type with all fingers and sometimes don't look but after 5 minutes, my typing " looks " as though I don't look.

The Hopkins band or facsimile thereof. Two years ago, I visited Annapolis, Md for a Hop game. The Navy-Marine Corps stadium is big - I'm guessing 40,000 capacity.  the Midshipmen filled the place. The Mids wore white, all white. I was relieved when after 45 minutes I saw a Mid w/ a stain on the seat of his pants. I mean these people, men and women, were eating a full buffet lunch on their laps sitting wherever they could. Thank Goodness for one slob. Oh yeah, the stain was the size of a piece of bubblegum, small piece at that.
Back to the Hop band.
I took a seat half-way up the south side. Then 70 - 80 band members of the Naval Academy showed up. I must have been 40 seats away. The sound was like the trombone player was in my lap. And they were good, close to excellent. Once, I heard the Cornell band at Towson stadium ( named after Jonny Unitas ) and I thought they were top notch.  The Navy band way better.
OK. the Hop Band. I think they know 8 songs and a bit . The Navy band warming up drowned out the Hop band. The band leader for Navy ( a woman )went out of her way not to play over the Hop band. Now, I'm a homer and love it when the Hoppies blow loud but lets get real, here, its noise , nice noise but noise.

By any measure this was a ramble and a half. Actually, it fairly represents the way I think a bit of a ramble with some facts thrown in.

life

No comments:

Post a Comment