Monday 5 March 2012

Man's troubles just beginning

Ala Will Rogers, in Sympatico news the headline as above finishes w/ " doctors operate on the wrong leg ".
Ten years back, I found a lump in my armpit ( a third breast no doubt ) . I was scheduled for surgery and on the day, I walked to the operating gurney and sat down.  the OR nurse, asked me to lie down.  she looked at my wrist and saw an elastic band on my left arm.  I told her it was to remind the doc which arm he was to operate on.  she giggled and said "I'll mark it now " and used a pencil crayon and put an arrow on my arm. Anyway, I'm back to wearing regular bras now - kidding !!!.
BTW, this operation was around the time of the SARS epidemic and the quarantining. SARS was a serious respiratory infection that spread easily. T.O. had a significant outbreak. My operation occurred 1 day before the hospital was closed. Seven days later, I call the hospital and find out that I cannot come in to get my stitches removed. my family doctor was also quarantined at home.  finally, 3 days later the surgeon's office said that I could come to his office if I wore a mask.
The nurse had to lift skin to cut the stitches. the surgeon comes in to inspect the site and says " I hear you forgot to come in to get your stitches removed " If he wasn't holding the forceps I think I might have gone for his throat. and he is a big guy.
BTW, if I hadn't got in on that day, elective surgeries were postponed months for some people.

Finally, I try to go back to school and find out the school was quarantined. The principal told me to stay away for ten days.

No comments:

Post a Comment