Saturday 25 May 2013

Typically , Canadian, eh ?

The BBC World Service , conducted a poll. The topic , best country , financially.
Canada got # 2 , up from third. Beaten by Germany. Pourquoi you ask.
BBC listed slow economic growth , falling commodity prices and interest rates dragging down Canada's fortunes
Japan fell from 1 st to 4 th.
Germany is a juggernaut - aha , history has heard that one before - any lessons learned , probably not.

Of course , we're satisfied , we're Canada - 2 nd comes naturally to us.

I'm re-watching the disaster genre , offering " the Day After To-morrow " starring Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhal. The premise is that global warming leads to a change in the average temperature of the world , the dawning of the next Ice Age.
Ian Holm reprises his role as Bilbo - kidding he has a important co-star function
The director Roland Emmerich didn't go for the sappy , launch a cruise missile armed w/ spent uranium rods , that re-aligns the earth's axis etc. averting the disaster. Nope, the disaster comes and you deal w/ it.
This entry also boasts Sela Ward and Emmy Rossum , the former is poised and ever comely and the second up and coming and winsome.
I would recommend this movie but please see it soon - an Ice Age is coming after all.

BTW- on the L Scale of movie re-watches, this ' tDAT ' probably rates a 8.5 / 10. Or it gets popped into the DVD player about 5 times a year. Hey , do these DVD thingies wear out.
I remember hearing that a VHS tape had a re-play life of 500 times plus additional damage from normal brittling due to aging

OK The weather is bright and sunny w/ cool and wind. Also, seems dry out there - time to clean out the eavestrough again.


Under the title of  ' I told you so or some such ' I love my GPS , in fact , its close to an addiction. I use it for short trips  and leave it on for QMH. I refer to the speed function instead of looking down at the odometer on the dash.
Years ago, I said that the GPS was a toy and nothing more. However, in my defence and cheapness those early units cost $ 500 and maps were purchased separately each year.
At Costco , this GPS was $160 and came w/lifetime maps. Alright ,so , I'm always 3 years behind everyone else. OK. Maybe 4 yrs.
But I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment