Saturday 4 July 2015

I'm A Yankee Noodle Dandy

paraphrased from G M Cohen

Happy 4 th of July , to the southern contingent

Dry air and warm , no sign of rain and none due for 4 days

Around here. In our laundry room , I hang towels to dry. We do not have a shower or tub facility on the main floor. Up til yesterday , I used a collapsible wooden clothes rack. Yes , it was wood w/ mildew stains starting in some places and yes , it collapsed , often. especially , when we didn't want it to collapse.
Pouring over the Lee Valley - Home and Garden Catalogue , I noticed coat hanger brackets that were adjustable. These hangers come out from the wall 11 inches and the angle can be varied , even w/ clothes hanging. There is a row of 3 / 4 in holes where the hangers can go through.
My jury rig idea - place two hangers 27 in apart and run the old rods from the clothes rack through the holes. Now , we have a collapsible clothes rack for towels that doesn't collapse unless you want it to collapse.
The space is neater and holds almost as much as the yester - year clothes rack. The rods are removable and the hangers fold down to within 1 1 / 2 in from the wall.
This was not the cheapest way to go. Lee Valley had an accordion clothes rack that came out form the wall and collapsed down but to within 8 in of the wall. I could have saved $ 8 , going the accordion route.
However , this system that I used is much more adaptable - and I get to brag. that last part is important

To cut the rods out , I used a vibrating cutter , hand tool - it was very fast. Then I noticed a blade that said ' metal and hard materials '. OK , smarty pants , when you were cutting copper pipe at 'bee in a tight place , why didn't you use the vibrating cutter
Dunno , duh , etc came out of my mouth
Oh well , .... oh well what , you dummy !

Enjoy you're day - I'm going down to play w/ the cutter

No comments:

Post a Comment