Thursday 24 August 2017

Bastard-ization

or re - jigging a fishing rod

The re - jigged fishing rod is done. 
Step 1 : cut off about 11 " of the butt end.
Step 2: configure a wine cork to be the new reel seat but still using the top of the old reel seat. I needed to shim the back support for the reel
Step 3; add extra weight in the open butt end for counter balance
Testing 1: OK but balance of rod was way too high or favoured the front end , a lot.
Back to the shop and remove the wine cork and reel

Step 4: cut the old butt ( the 11 " ) into a length for a reel seat. Took the piece that I cut approx 7 " and split the piece like a submarine roll.
Step 5: tape the two halves onto the rod - Surprise ! the pieces snapped to - gether and taping was a breeze. Taped the reel onto the new reel seat
Balance is perfect.
Rod looks like someone took apart a fishing rod and tried to put it back to - gether
Which is true
However , I got an usable rod out of one that was sitting ( maybe 10 yrs ? ) and as reported , basically worthless if sold.

Weather : we begin 5 - 6 glorious days , sun , cool and breezes
very dry

BTW the new rod goes travelling next week to Ohio for pond fishing.
BTW - II - I've got a second rod exactly the same 

Whats the big deal ? Well, I like rods w/ a fast tip ( bendy ) but w/ backbone as you move down the rod. Many fishing companions have noticed how my fishing rods have those qualities.
FYI , I've priced out rods and my favs all start at $ 250 and go up from there.
If this bastard rod works , well , good

BTW - III I'm in love w/ the physio lady. She was busy to - day , she had a back log for early morning. She left me w/ a heating towel thingy on my shoulder for 20 minutes while she helped another guy. Then she did ultra sound for 10 minutes , rubbed in physio gel for 5 minutes and then she massaged the shoulder and stretched the arm. Taped me up and sent me out the door
Wow ! true love


No comments:

Post a Comment