Wednesday 3 July 2019

The Season Starts

for me - this was my 5 th and 6 th outing

Got a bass, both days Tues & Wed
Wed bass shown here



And Lucky , really - should have escaped 4 times
But rather lucky than skilled

H / H has settled in 
sauna as you go outside

The fishing technique is ' fish the wood '.
The first largemouth bass hit a spinnerbait flashing past a stump. Very fundamental bassing. A spinnerbait is great b/c if the bass hits and you set - well , normally he's done like toast.

The pictured ' pig ' of a bass took a 6 inch stick bait in glow in the dark and colour changing white - ishness
plastic - also basic bass strategy.
However, I felt the weight and tried to go around a branch by stepping to the stern - and kept stepping only to realize as I went back, the boat was drifting forward in the wind. I had left the trolling motor to step backward. Thus, I was way out of position by the time the bass got close. And the line was running through a piece of bark on the branch and wouldn't move.
Of course, the drag was set too loose and the porky pig ran all over the woodlot.
Excitement up the wazoo. Anxious and cursing for all the simple and avoidable problems.
A maxim of fishing : some fish were meant to be caught - or  " idiots catch fish too "
Now, understand that ' fish the wood ' is exactly what I've doing all along.
I guess the bass are in summer mode or in the wood where I can catch them.

On the topic of bites and seasons starting - an army of deer flies was waiting for me to park the car at the Q.
The little buggers < literally > were using me as their  sole source of food. One bite on the wrist threatened to make a second thumb on my right hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment