Thursday 3 October 2019

the Heat is On

officially its heating season
Thermostat is set for 70 F

It was 68 F upstairs and little hope of the sun warming the air thus I flicked the switch and voila we have heat

The project for today is a window in the side door of the garage. The neighbour and I leave our main garage door open even as night approaches. This results in phone calls and knocks at the door from the facing neighbours ( who kindly remind us to close the door ).
Thus, I put a window in the door such that if I can see street lights etc through the window from the study window the garage door is up .
I started w/ a 4 in wide plastic aquarium w/ one one convex side reasoning the double layer is insulation. However, very difficult to attach it to the door. This discovery came after the holes were cut being approximately 8 x 10 inches.
I found a small picture frame and took the glass
Voila it fits. Now, to fix the glass in place. Well, it worked out phenomenally well. The glass plate sits on a door strut that strengthens the door. Next a piece of wood strip is bolted across the top of the glass piece. And finally, I wedged a broom handle w/ shims across the glass at the bottom sitting on the same cross strut.

Along the way, I learned that the door in question is an interior door. It lacks the strength and insulation of a regular exterior door. Obviously, interior doors are cheaper - as in 1/2 the price. However, the door goes into the garage not the house thus a minor security problem - I mean that someone can steal the garbage cans.
And thus all my worry about the window causing a security problem became mute when I realized anyone can just boot the door in.
Ah, such is my life
I will visually check to see if the garage door is open tonight ( or can I tell that the garage door is open - I'm assuming that I'll see light through the window from street lamps or cars passing )
We shall see said the Zen Master

Pouring rain right now. Started as a mist and got mistier and then rain. Approximately 60 F out there

No comments:

Post a Comment