Sunday 5 April 2020

Hoorah ! Sunday

Weather for the day

44F now and bound for 54
Winds are NNW at 9
Pressure is up44F
Cloudy is the call
W/ 12 h 58 m of sun

Typical. of me. 
A while back, I broke the side mirror assembly on the truck, backing into the garage. The dealership returned the broken assembly. I saved it    < of course, I would ! > and it languished in the garage.
Well, I found it and decided to salvage the mirror
< of course, I would ! >  Yesterday, I started in w/ the dremel motor tool and cutter wheel.
Not much progress but I opened up the plastic shell at one side. I could see the mirror mount but not quite reach it. The cutter wheel spins fast and can burn the plastic and throw up  ' plastic sawdust '.

Big gun, time. 
I brought out the sawzall and went to it.
Slow.
Slow going. However, after 15 minutes, I could reach inside w/ a screwdriver. I was poking and prodding -   ' why is the plate behind the mirror sticking a bit. '
3 minutes later the mirror and its plastic backing was in my hands.
Now, to be truthful, 2 blades were bent slightly. I'm not sure if they'll still be useful that way. However, those blades cost 60 cents an piece and I have 48 more in the set.
Trade - off $ 1.20 for a $12 mirror < if you could even buy it >
You see if the side mirror ever cracks - I can glue this replacement mirror right over top.
I'm pleased



No comments:

Post a Comment