Tuesday 22 December 2020

a Hacksaw and a Loaf

 oh,, yea - same to you. The combination was my Xmas gift to a friend LK. Approx 56 yrs ago, we started exchanging holiday presents. Thus, 2020 even w/ CV 19 was not an exception. The hacksaw came w/ 4 blades ( wood, metal, composite materials and fine ). The loaf was a Xmas stollen.

Lets tell a story < so whats new >. About three years ago, LK calls and says ' I need a hand '. The announcement is fraught w/ danger, trust me. Once, I ended up carting dirt from his backyard to a off ramp construction site < in summmer , in the heat >

This favour, move 40 boxes of hockey publications from the basement of his house to the garage and car. We're talking 4 guys and 3 hrs. Apparently, I missed the full order of business b/c after a pop break, LK says ' can we do the tree ? ' I must have looked stunned b//c someone goes ' sure '.

The tree, is a branch 15 ft up and the thickness of my thigh. The tree is on a slope and the ladder couldn't sit flat. I gawked as LK brings out a saw. The saw was our age at 60 something. Very fine teeth and rusted. It was as close to useless as you could get for the job. Thats when GI pops up and says ' I'll come back tomorrow and bring a proper saw '. Thus, the hacksaw b/c I know LK has never seen a saw like it <  I mean owned one >. A blade for every kind of household job - specialized for the task.

The stollen comes from a local bakery < expensive but excellent >. I wanted to buy from the bakery to help it stay in business.

A so - so day. The sun squeezes out every now and then w/ a cold breeze.

BTW - the boxes of hockey stuff. LK drove them to South Bend, Indiana to a hockey museum. Seriously, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment