Tuesday 31 August 2021

The Cool of the Fall

 #3137 of 3137

Be careful what you wish for, the old saying. But we will have moderate conditions for about 5 days.

The deck is the project, however, I cannot find a big crowbar around the house or garage < cottage for some reason  ? >. I do have a splitting head for logs < a twisty wedge and maybe ???? >

This job is the bane of all professionals. Trying to retrofit or replace a couple of boards. I know that they would rather go in and tear down. It can be fiddly work trying not to damage adjacent pieces < like the rest of the deck > This deck is 23 ? y.o and looks not too bad. 

the real test is when I get the boards up. if the cross pieces are sound underneath - thats good

In basketball, there is a saying ' no blood , no foul '. Well, there was no blood this morning. A hatchet fell on my arm twice < hatchet was a wedge to pry boards >. The method was hammer in a splitting wedge < used to split logs etc > to get the boards lifted a bit. I used hatchets to pry further along the deck board at the next cross piece. 
Trial and error showed that a hatchet dropping from above hurts. Thus, I refined my technique and dropped the hatchet on the ground.
Overall, the wood of the cross pieces looked not too bad but I am making scabs < extra wood plates >to reinforce some cross members.
I celebrated w/ a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment