Saturday 24 November 2012

Shoes too small

A young French writer ( 10 or 12 yrs old ) was asked ' will you keep writing novels, when you are 30 or 40 yrs old.
Her reply ' thats the trouble with grown ups - wanting to last and wanting things that last. Only two things last, shoes too small and foolishness. '

I've never had too small shoes (  at least I can't remember ). In Vegas, my last act was to put a pair of shoes in the trash.
The shoes are / were Redwings, a well known maker of safety shoes and equipment.
The REDS were 2E wide and very comfortable. Bought in 1980, they have been a good buy. This past week in Vegas, we walked up the strip, two times in 2 days. My toe pads on the outside balls of my feet were aching. 
Changed shoes to my runners and stayed in runners the balance of the trip. Feet got better and I was comfortable the rest of the trip.

So, 32 year old shoes were left behind in Vegas.
This confirms that famous saying ' what dies in Vegas, stays in Vegas '
M was flabbergasted. I guess that she didn't realize that I'd had the shoes our whole marriage. And she had trouble believing that I would throw away anything. Apparently, I tend to keep things - maybe a little too long.
Therefore, not small shoes but perhaps a little foolishness. Can't win 'em all.

To-day, we try for normal. No craps, no drinking all day ( 3 Sam Adams, Boston Lager for sure )
Last night though, we ate Mc Donalds and I drank a Sam Adams at home. Shades of Vegas.

Day is bright and cool, 34 of those F things. Wind is brisk.
Last night flying in to T.O., the winds bumped and shook the plane, gusting to 55 KPM according to Capt Rick or Nick.

No comments:

Post a Comment