Thursday 4 May 2017

Old Reads

very old , say 30 yrs or so

' the Drawing of the Dark ' by Tim Powers. A sci - fi fantasy set in the time of the Turkish conquest of ... well the whole of Europe. The Turks have made overtures that Vienna is to fall. Western powers are  purportedly eager to defend Vienna and the West.
The hero , an Irishman , Brian Duffy is hired as a bouncer in a pub / brewery. A famous brewery established in Roman times.
A monastery til purchased by a eccentric wizard , the brewery still churns out Herzwesten ( heart of the west ) beer.
It turns out that our hero has visions , has had visions his whole life , a ' girl friend ' turned barmaid after a failed marriage ( he suicided ) and a uncanny ability to act in life threatening situations.
Yes , I've re - read this story about 20 times.
However , I maintain finding good books to read is difficult . thus I revert to old ' reads ' to fill the gap.

Weather : gray is the order of the day , don't you know.
water levels in the Great Lakes and esp. L Ontario and downstream are high and approaching homes and records.
It will rain for three days ,maybe clearing by Monday.

On the topic of old reads , I looked back at Brett's Long Range outlook. He predicted a wet May 1 to 7. Bang on Brett baby.
Next week , Brett has ' uncertain ' for the prognostication

I'm an Imposter was the banner , as I introduced myself to the world of R.O.C. forum.
ROC ? Is Ridgeline Owners Club ( Honda trucks ) not an official Honda site.
I discovered new jargon or abbreviations
Gen2 - is me , any Ridgeline 2017 and on is Gen2 or the redone Ridgeline
RL **** is not swearing but short form Ridgeline and your trim level
I called my yet to be delivered Ridgeline , a ' ridgie ' 
apparently , some forum types don't like the nickname
while I think RL isn't correct after all the truck name is one word

ah heck , potato ---- potata  

Talk about enthused , these dudes and dudettes are high on trucks
( we hope )



No comments:

Post a Comment