Monday 9 April 2012

As Usual

Ala Will Rogers and in keeping w/ past trends, I once again turn to the news.

This item via CBC ( surprise, surprise ). A young lady had her picture identified on face book as a person involved in a bar room assault. The I.D. was erroneous but it took months and dollars ( 2,000 give or take ) to clear up the misidentification.
Further, the piece went on to discuss the privacy issues associated w/ putting your stuff  " out there ".
Recently, Saturday, I was accused of being less than open when I wouldn't sign up for Facebook, in order to Skype someone. Alright there is some Luddite-ism involved and yes, I could surf the world.
Thoughts of ex-girlfriends looking me up fills me w/ dread. Along w/ a whole bunch of other issues. of course, I could have a twin out there separated at birth or be an heir to a Swiss fortune... right !
Ellen Degeneress or Justin Bieber may be waiting to take my call on Facebook or Twitter or Etherdom.

Did I mention that I'm re-reading a series by Glen Cook, " Instrumentalities of the Night " and specifically the first 2 books " Tyranny of the Night " and " Lord of the Silent Kingdom " ? So you won't think that I've totally lost it and can't remember what I blogged ( which is mostly true ). The reference above, reminded me that in the first two books, the hero Piper Hecht begins to find out that he is son of a very powerful family ( of a polar opposite religion ). Pipe and sister were separated in a slave raid. Pipe grew up as slave - soldier ( a Navy Seal, in to-days terms and with the name Else Tage). However, through solid detective work the father, Grade Docker finds his children Pipe and Heris.
To wit, if there had been Facebook, Grade might have found his children much easier instead of travelling the known world and using necromancy ( Grade's father is a Principate of the Collegium and one mean master of the mystic arts ) Grade isn't / wasn't too bad himself until he got shot full of silver ( Pipe, shot his father before he knew about the relationship, in fact, Grade didn't know either ) In fact, one of Else tage's jobs was to spy on the Collegium and his father's outfit ' the Brotherhood of War '

No comments:

Post a Comment