Friday 27 April 2012

Cell phones - the new religion

I mentioned controversial topics e.g. religion. But daring soul that I am, the rant to-day is about cell phones.
Huh ? Where did this come from ?
I topped up my 2 ( count 'em two )cell phones.
M has one too. One cell ph is the local Toronto number and the other is a QMH cell ph.
The QMH ph is maintained so that neighbours up at QMH don't need to dial long distance to call me.

So far in two years, 95 % of calls to that QMH number come from M.  The other 5 % are local calls neighbours and businesses.

Why does M call, both phones are pay-as-you-go at 25 cents / minute therefore, we need to balance usage over the two phones. To wit , both phones started last May w/ approx $ 100 credit. To-day, even w/ our " balance the phones out " attempts,  the QMH # had $ 54 credit and the Toronto # had $ 34 credit.

However, if you do the math, you'll see even at 25 cents / min which is el ludicreso, my phones cost 100 dollars to use for the year ( almost ). M pays $ 10 / month and the balance rolls over ( her plan is grandfathered ). Bell cellular changed their policy 2 years ago and I lost the roll-over, so I quit Bell Cell.
The phones were bought for $ 150. So, total for the 3 phones $220 / year.
Yep, I'm too cheap to get a monthly plan. I could probably get by with 1 phone and $ 500 a year unlimited texting etc. But the neighbours at QMH would need to dial LD.

Cell phone etiquette. Last night four guys had their cell phones ( organizers - net ready electronics )  turned on. One guy has two tones one dings for e-mails ( all night long ) the other ding is a song that plays for phone calls. He picks up right at the table and carries on a conversation.
On Wed night the QMH league, everyone turns off their cell phones to play cards.
Two items here, yes it's inconsiderate to talk on the phone at the table but I suspect this is normal behaviour for the guy and he knows , no other way to deal w/ the phone ( i.e. the phone is his identity ).
The second item that I noticed is, you should not talk on the phone in front of others b/c the way you speak while on the phone reveals nuances such as how you feel about that person or the topic, most likely both. People listening can only assume your facial expressions etc are the same when you talk to them on the phone.
I've witnessed times in public where I've said " I'm glad I'm not on his speed dial ".

Then there is the inevitable " emergency call " while driving. There must be massive emergencies all over considering how amny people are on the phone.

Further, in a car w/ 4 people, its the driver on the cell phone not the passengers. Or maybe you notice the driver more, I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment