Sunday 28 April 2013

Records End .... Legacy is Epehemeral

My brother died at an early age, teacher / fisherman / curler / oenologist.
Such is life. Buddhistically, we say , this is ' dukha ' or suffering. All life is suffering. 

No, Buddhism is not sadistic. Fatalistic maybe.
Sort of   ' just the way it is  ' ,  kinda thing.

OMG, is this blog starting out negative and grim.

Let's lighten it up. Yesterday, my beloved BJ s went down to defeat at the hands of the rivals up the street , Loyola of Maryland.

Under Dave Petriemala, the BJ s were 12 - 0 against the Greyhounds. Effectively, the BJ s will not qualify for the championships ,  starting in two weeks.
The JHU Blue Jays were working on a 41 year streak at qualifying. Sometimes not pretty, very often controversial but 41 in a row.

In 2 weeks, the NCAA selection committee will list the 16 finalists.

I live and die , mostly die, w/ the fate of the Johns Hopkins lacrosse team. This loyalty should be questioned. No ,I'm not an alumnus.
Do not live in Maryland.
However, as a teenager, I read Sports Illustrated stories of the little university that could. Johns Hopkins is a liberal arts school that is famed for medicine and lacrosse. The school has a undergrad class of something like 4, 000 students. Most Division 1 schools have first year classes that size. 
In my youth, w / no internet , SI was the source of all my U.S. lacrosse information. I was regaled by heroic prose of a small college contending w/ the likes of Duke , Syracuse and Virginia etc.

On retirement, literature said, you should choose a new interest ,  that you couldn't indulge while working. Ooh, did I pick a doozy.

Starting in 2005, I have been to at least , I BJ s game per year. Sometimes in a year,  driving to Balto or passing through Balto to attend games at Homewood field. I've been to something like 17 games at Homewood or in stadiums around Maryland. 
I prefer Homewood but have also been to away games at Mt. St. Marys / Navy  / Towson  / Loyola and  UMBC. This year, I even ventured into the dark realm of Syracuse ( the Carrier Dome ).

There has to be saner way to honour retirement. As all records, this too shall end. It won't go for 41 years... but 12 years , maybe.

Go Jays Go.

Weather. Did the windows to-day. Outside , all the way around.
Wait til the sun hits the big picture window, all the streaks start to show.

"  All the records fade and dim in dust
   The fall of honoured sacred trusts
   Legends built on heroic deed
    Fall fingertips away from reach 
   
    What dare we call success or not
     Ephemeral victory, there was got
     A need to strive for eternal praise
     Fails , oh ,  our greater selves indeed

This stuff, is fairly typical of what runs through my head. Notice how it kinda dies at the end , there.

Mostly, when my brain is disconnected from reality

" Veritas vos libertatis " the motto of Johns Hopkins U.







No comments:

Post a Comment