Friday 19 July 2013

Luddites Unite

The Loop had a feature article in pictures , ' Devices for the Non - Tech savvy.
 1. Best phone was the  iPhone 5 , advantage large icons
      or the BlackBerry Q10 , advantage is a  QWERTY board
2.  Best tablet was the  iPad
3.   Best laptop was MacBook Air ( $ 999) or HP Pavilion M6          ( $ 550) +      Windows7   
4. Best TV Samsung ( 1500 )
5. Best E-Reader was the  Kobo mini ( 50 ) , advantages small size , WiFi

you see , I really thought this article was right up my luddish alley.

Except these devices are expensive , well to me they are. The phones are $ 200 + / - , w/ a three yr contract ,  which is closely akin to slavery here in Canada.
$ 1500 for a TV , the bleeding thing better sing and dance on its own.

That Kobo mini is the treat of the week, 50 smackers , not bad. But I'm still doing the hard copy thing.

I do not Tweet or use Facebook ( I am a Facebook name ). Our TV is not hooked up to Netflix , wirelessly , although it could be.
Our last TV came free from using Airmiles.

So , Luddite or El Cheepo ?  I suppose the question is then , if it were less expensive , would you get the technology ? 

WiFi connected phone - maybe , but I barely use the phone for phone calls , ergo , the internet , umh , probably not.
See more Luddite than cheap , although there is plenty of that to go around.

I borrowed a ' Thor ' comic from the library. Got 2/3 through it and stopped. Not for me , lots of Asgardian history and stuff , but fundamentally , boring.

I'm back to re-re-reading , the series " Tyranny of the Night " by Glen Cook. I've read these books so often , the characters are friends. Fairly pathetic , I would say.

Finished a CD book , that friends loaned us , back in  May. Actually , driving from OH, we were 1 1/2 discs from the end. Forgot about the CD book , and had to start all over again , we couldn't remember diddly from three weeks before. So , in essence , driving to Seneca Allegany , we re-listened and last week end got to the last disc.
The CD book is called ' The Devil in the White City ' by Erik Larson , the story takes place in and around the World's fair in Chicago , at the turn of the century , give or take. The fair was called the World's Colombian Fair in honour of Christopher Columbus' arrival in the New World.  The ' devil  ' was a mass murderer and the ' White City ' was the facade of the World's Fair.

Anyone is free to borrow this CD set , as we were told it has passed through many hands. One thought is to offer the CD set, at the ' Porch and Pint ' pub ,  in Peterborough. The Porch has a lending library on the window sill. I have populated my bedroom shelves on the 'bee w/ books from the window sill. Maybe , its justice if I donate an offering rather than taking , exclusively.

Weather , do I see a bit of wind stirring out there ? We've been virtually , breeze free for these last few days. A cold front is near and should shake things up a bit. Sat. on , for 4 or 5 days seems tob looking good.


No comments:

Post a Comment