Friday 26 July 2013

Not Alone

The great dichotomy for humans. Each of us , wants to be an individual but we'd also like to be the same , or treated the same , mostly.
I think that I have these problems in spades. Last night , on PRI / CBC radio , there was an item that caught my interest. Firstly , I have thought that lawyers should not be allowed to become judges.
I think that by the time a lawyer gets to be experienced enough to get selected , these people have already forgotten what they got into the job for. Truth has gone out  the back door to do the lawyer jobby thing. And these guys are judging other people ?????

OK. The item. In Cumbria , England , each year , they hold the        ' World's Greatest Liar ' competition. There is a stipulation that contestants cannot be lawyers or politicians. See , someone else figured it out too !
There are countries that have judges graduate from judge school to qualify as a judge. I'm not sure that the system is better but at least it takes awhile for cronyism to kick in.

Weather , A-OK. Sunny , lovely , warm and all that.

Yesterday , after our traditional dim sum lunch , ' Ant ' and I went to Bass Pro Shop which is also a tradition. The trick is to get out w/out spending over $ 200. Da da , made it. $ 95 - there you go. the problem - I bought a jacket and a fishing reel.
So what , you say. Well ,the only person that I knew w/ more coats and jackets than me - was my Dad.  Growing up , either my brother or myself was wearing one of Dad's cast-off coats. We are not talking - worn out - but worn 4 or 5 times and left in the closet.

I noticed once , Dad wearing one of my coats , and we weren't even living in the same house. This condition has got be genetic. I really hope so anyway.

The jacket is a non-woven rain and wind jacket. A famous make called ' Frogge Togs ' has been making similar outerwear for years. In fact , I'm replacing a ' Frogge Tog ' jacket which has a broken zipper. The FT has been great but it is getting thin and pilled up. BPS got me w/ a price of $ 22 which is what I paid for the FT jacket on sale for 50 % off.
The fishing reel is about the same level of lunacy. This baitcast reel is # 5 , in the collection. To be fair , there are 2 bc reels that are so old the sound that they make on casting is like hearing a washing machine on spin cycle.
One of my good bc reels is squeaking  I figure to repair the thing would be $ 50 and the new bc reel cost $ 56. As well , the reels are improving every year. I'm not sure about quality but in performance , definitely. There. I've proven my point.        I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment