Monday 13 January 2014

' Dock of the Bay '

sang  Otis Reading.
My story is standing there on the dock.
Like always , fishing by myself. Here , at the resort , maybe 70 % of the time , I'm by myself.
On the 'bee , its more in the range of 85 % , by myself.
To-night , around 5:00 PM ,  little ripples started about 20 yds from me. Dimples as in fish sucking morsels off the surface , began.

Silver flashes in the water and then a cloud of orangy-brown began moving my way ,swaying as it came. This was a pod of mullet , group feeding.
Mullet are primarily vegetarian - algae and molluscs , plankton.The mullet do not grab plastic worms. I tried to snag one in that mass. After many tries , I snagged a mullet , maybe about 1 1/2 lb. 
How do I know ? Any bigger and I probably couldn't have moved the fish as I pulled it in.
Why mention this event ? B/c this is the kind of thing that happens out on the dock on Boca Ciega Bay.
The water is alive. The guests covet the pool , thats where the action is - at least the gossip machine. But out there , life happens. And I get to see it unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment