Monday 21 December 2015

Oh , Christmas Tree

Yes , the re - jig worked. Pop ! at 4:20P a Xmas tree appeared outlined in the backyard.

The time is 6:06 A and I'm awake and blogging
Stuffy nose. Woke at 5 A , nasal rinsed w/ salt water and can't get back to sleep

Never name your lake ' Poopo ' b/c when it disappears - you got it " Poopo Disappears " , news at 11.
In Bolivia , the country's 2 nd largest lake is gone. Poopo was flighty , coming and going w/ the rain but this year Poopo didn't refill. Climate change ?? The experts blamed a strong El Nino year.

Further , a survey showed that well over 80 % of doctors and pharmacist opt for the generic brand over brand name pharmaceuticals. These two tidbits form CBS ' Sci and Tech '

On PBS , last afternoon , a motivational speaker on ' non aging seniors ' did a demo of ' High Intensity Interval Training ' or H.I.I.T. The concept says , bursts of intense activity followed by a casual walk / rest builds mitochondria which in turn burn calories. She did a on stage version. 20 seconds of arm pumps , jogging and flailing to be followed by 1 1/2 min of a walk.
Now ,of course , I couldn't let this go. I've been trying for alternate work out routines - for interest and as well , I'm into a prolonged sequence of exercise sessions. And besides , I figured that I could flail away in the privacy of the TV room. She did it in front of 400 in the audience and millions ( well ,thousands , after all it was PBS ) on TV
I did , say , push ups for 20 sec and jumped back on the elliptical for 1 1/2 min.
I did the normal time for a work out.

DE 4   normal 5 day cycle                     DE 10 Xtnded              DE20 HIIT

394 cal                                                 435 cal                         555 cal
47:18 min                                             52:15 min                     54:35 min
109 BPM avg                                       109 BPM avg               119 BPM avg
128 BPM High                                      125 BPM High             144 BPM High

The calories burned for DE 20 is higher but the real effect is supposed to be after the work out for HIIT i.e. b/c you create more mitochondria in your cells. And BTW , this HIIT isn't your everyday work out. All the experts suggest at least a day between HIIT jobbies. In fact , some trainers mention 2 days of rest.

Two additional notions ,are :
1) this HIIT started for weight training not flailing away w/ arms and legs on stage. The practioners used heavier than normal weights. This contrasted w/ the old norm of many repetitions for weight training

2) for me the 109 BPM avg has me on the edge of the range for weight control , at 125 BPM , I cross into the range of ' optimal aerobic activity ' . In reality , I'm in the area of BPM which is 82 % of my max Heart Rate

Thus , based on the fact that I'm not using heavy weights or heavier weights and not all the exercises that I do use weights , compared to the lady on stage I'm 1/2 way or less to a real HIIT work out but burning calories like a maniac.

Of course , I woke up hungry at 5 A , go figure !

More to follow on HIIT b/c you know that I can't let this go

And BTW , approx eight to ten years ago , a doctor was pushing HIIT as 20 seconds followed by 1 1/2 min easy walk and repeat / three times a week !
This 3 minute work out was in place of 4 or 5 aerobic work outs of 35 - 40 min per week. Sort of the E - Z P - Z way to exercise.







No comments:

Post a Comment