Monday 11 October 2021

Turkey Day

 For Thanksgiving, we did us a turkey w/ all the trimmings. A 14 lb bird for 2 people.

M did a great job.
THEN I started; a) storing and freezing 8# of turkey < for later.... and later ......... and later > b) making stock from the bones for later ..... and later .......... and later. 

I began to think that we would have enough til Xmas. Bowls of stock and meat in the fridge -> next to be  frozen.

I woke at 5 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. So, coffee and typing. The boys next door are going fishing today and I said ' no thank you ' and really today would not be good. I need rest.

Managed to catch a nap after typing. However, retired does have advantages - like afternoon naps

AND, once more into the fray. I re - did the  ' more Apples than Dough ' cake. The hope was that it would be easier and faster .... and better. I, however, realized that an ingredient that I omitted, namely, lemon zest was needed to help the baking powder rise. I hastily added lemon juice < and a dash of apple cider vinegar > and ......
The apple cake is out and is tasty and moist. Success. BUT I will add lemon juice to the milk < called buttermilk > in further attempts
and there will be more tries. a) uses up our surplus flour b ) eggs don't always get used up quickly either, in this house.
Plus, an apple dessert is appreciated. And it was a touch easier.




No comments:

Post a Comment