Tuesday 4 March 2014

Hibernation and me

Was there a time when I didn't hibernate in winter ??
I seem to remember X - country skiing , what 4 - 5 times a winter , more ??

This year , I've shovelled the backyard , moving the snow fall from the roof away from the foundation. That was 4 days , maybe an 1 hr / day. Plus the deck , cottage and home but that was 1 hr at most.

No winter walks , feed the birds or tap the sap ,for us

Does running to the cottage count. I drive up . Stop at the chicken store ( 3 Roads Farm Store , run by the chicken farm ) watch TV and come home. Oh , there is the card game too.

I suppose running out to the cleaners doesn't count , huh ?

I'm not alone. The topic of hibernation has come up a few times in conversations during the last 10 weeks.

Of course , our house is pleasant as a refuge. TV in HD , thanks to M. Computer w/ internet access. Everything an urban Canadian could want.

I suppose we could count the power outage week as camping b/c it was pretty close to the outdoors. the inside temperature did get to 46 F in 80 % of the house.

On the topic of Sherlock Holmes. ' Showcase ' is still being taped and although I've seen these episodes on PBS , I'm still muttering  "don't remember that ". Based on the aging effects seems that I better get used to that phrase.

This aft , I will try to catch game 5 of the lax season for JHU , as they travel up-state to Emmitsburg , Md , home of the Mt St Mary's
Mount ( ? ) , their opponent to-day. Both M and I have been to a game in Emmitsburg.  Hop is now ranked 3 or 4 in the USILA poll and the Mount is unranked.
A dangerous game for JHU. The Mount has lost big in 2 of 3 games , this year, BUT , this is a Maryland team. The youth breathe and dream lacrosse in Md. With upwards of 15 teams ( Div 1 ) in the area ( 100 mile radius of Baltimore ) , the lowest ranked of teams are getting well- schooled , motivated players , even if undrafted for college.
I always feel that the success of JHU v Mt St M is the Hop defence holding the Mount under 5 goals. This effort would not be an insult to Mount players but a bellweather of whether Hop played disciplined lacrosse or not. JHU has the horses and in all games , coaches feel that the team should play at their level regardless of the opponent. Sometimes like all teams , Hop fails in this regard. I've been their live to watch it happen.

Go ! hop

No comments:

Post a Comment