Sunday 11 September 2016

The Whole Truth

........ and the POV

Last night , we attended the wedding of a former student BUT who is a staunch fishing buddy, A.
Lovely bride. 

The wedding featured 10 courses incl the much debated ' shark fin soup '. I passed on the soup and noodles b/c I was full.
Between courses , the wedding offered a photo booth , dancing and games. As well ,the bride was lifted off her feet approx 4 times. To be fair , A , could lift me and she is a dainty thing.

During the night many former students paused to say hello and chat.
The lady sitting to our right , noticed and said to M ' he must have been a very good teacher '.  
I said thank you. BUT I really wanted to say , look at who we are talking about
Meaning everyone of those students are the nicest people that you will ever meet.  And most are looking back at treasured times in a present setting of celebration.
Still , yes , I enjoyed the reminiscing.

Further , one thoughtful former student asked if I had regrets. Biggest one ... to give the young minds a realization and appreciation for luck. Especially when you start to believe things that happen to you are because of you and your decisions.
What I mean to say is , I can point to several times in my life where I know my life was turned for the better.
One. After completing Teachers College , hundreds of resumes went out. These overtures produced 3 interviews and I was still searching for a job in September. One morning , in late September , the phone rang at home. My associate teacher , was letting me know that ' a school in Scarborough ( outer Toronto ) was asking for a science teacher. " He said " I gave them your name and no one else , go get that job "
My competition turned out to be 3 other candidates , 2 with Master of Science degrees and a Phd. I got the job.
Two. The school ... well ,only the school where I stayed for 30 years.
Three and the biggie met M

I didn't say this last night but that student replied with ' I know , its scary , its really 70 % luck , isn't it ?? "
He got it.


Weather : Beautii !  Warm and sun... humidity , don't know

Brett Anderson at Accuweather gave his long range forecast.

SE 19 - 26         for the Great Lakes , wetter

SE 26 - OC 2    south of the chilly prediction

OC 3 - 9           south of the dry and seasonal prediction

No comments:

Post a Comment