Sunday 17 November 2019

13

kidding

But it is still cold
up at 4 AM - couldn't get back to sleep

Lets see - tired - ish but awake

A warm - ish spell is coming w/ 34 - 38 F for several days. The wind chill today e.g. is 12 degrees
and
this is Santa Claus parade day
bundle up

Alrighty, I finished watching  a YouTube video on the reasons that you should buy a Chromebook or why a Chromebook is an useful device.

My take. 
Using Windows the last few years prior to 2018 < date of Dell Chromebook purchase > every update and there were lots meant that some protocol that I had set up or used - disappeared ( for me, other people probably figured out what changed - not me ).

The clicher was the time that I went to edit a spreadsheet and discovered a suggestion that I might want to buy Windows writing program b/c that is the only way I could edit my spreadsheet. My spreadsheet that Windows confiscated.

I'm not computer literate the way that I see other people doing things. Its all a matter of practice and what you need.
Me. not much

To wit. At the moment, James Taylor is singing ' Copperline ' through the Bluetooth ear phones. And of course, I'm blogging to you.

Thus, yesterday, I re - hacked the main computer in the house - thats a Dell Studio laptop w/19 inch screen.
Yes, it is still running Windows. But lately, the scan function on the laptop won't connect to the printer.
And the heat build up underneath the Studio is massive. 
In fact, 8 months ago, I cut a 5 inch slot in the table part of the computer desk allowing the heat to passively drop down from the Studio.
B/c I've tried USB fans to remove the heat and the fans all break or fail.
Now, I've added a brace to raise the Studio off the desk about 1/2 in for better ventilation.

C.f. the Chromebook - updates itself via the internet and there are no changes in the Chromebook itself. The updates are done at Chrome OS headquarters - wherever that is.
Heat build up doesn't exist b/c there is no machinery running inside the Chromebook. That is probably an inaccurate way of describing the scenario
But no heat !
< Emmy Lou Harris is singing ' Millworker ' by James Taylor from 1980 ?, please search this out - what a combination ElH and JT. Fabulous song and ethereal singer >
< and Vienna Teng just popped on ' Fields of Gold ' by Sting - glorious  >

Back to the scan function. Two days ago, Michelin wanted a scan of an invoice to qualify for a tire rebate. Of course, the Studio couldn't connect to scan on the printer.
However, 2 months ago, I bought a wireless HP printer. As of now, the Chromebook or my phone can operate the new printer. 
And thats exactly what I did, accessed the printer through the phone and scanned a copy of the invoice - sent the invoice to gmail and copied to the electronic form from Michelin.
< Corinne May is singing ' in the Bleak Midwinter ' - yes go find this one also >

Oh, the printer was on sale for $108 but when I got to the cashier - 98 came up on the screen - that meant 100 dollars off original price.

And HP offer, automatic ink replacement delivered to your door for a cost - something like $12 a month. Not for me. I'll need ink about once every two years.

< Jenny and the Mexicats from a Tiny Desk Concert on PBS are playing now. What a babe, Jenny Ball. Yes, I YouTubed a whole 16 minute set and saved it to the Chromebook and then to my phone - yes go get this video too >

Off to put on coffee

Oh, almost forgot. I went from 4 hours of battery life on the Studio to 12 hours for the Chromebook.
And the connection from power supply is a Type C connector.
It is simple. EVERY CONNECTION SHOULD BE type C. There is no up or down - all ways work - just plug it in
Other connectors are barbaric and an insult to humankind.




No comments:

Post a Comment