Monday 26 December 2022

ക " Returns Day ( daze ) Begins

 ക  once again. a squiggle became an emoji

Yes. This is the three days when everybody races to the stores and tries to get Bargains and return stuff they got for Christmas.

 We are not returning anything, mostly because we are happy with what we got and ........ well it seems wrong to return gifts

 Thus, we're going to keep the prezzies and we'll make do.

How about you ?

the weather. cold. still dark.  we're expecting a not bad day we should get sun I think it will still be about 22 23 24 F somewhere in there so it'll be cold.  oh well, tolerate,  can we do. 


The gift highlight. Cobalt alloy drill bits by Bosch. The alloy is stronger [ we'll see how easily that I can break one ]. the bits cut faster and into steel and other hard materials.

For years, I used a Black and Decker drill. Loved it. Then, A.. bought a DeWalt drill / hammer drill set of tools. Wow! much better than mine.  And surprise ! the new drills were 20 V rated. I looked at my Black and Decker and went ' OMFL ', the drill was labelled 9 V. Oh yeah. 

Thus, I bought an 18 V drill. Not as good as A.. s set BUT ' we ' store the new DeWalt drills here at this house almost the whole year.
That means very seldom would I need my own drill.

Back to bits. I realized that usual bits that I was using created difficulties - all the time. AND of course, w/ a new [ amped up ] drill then you would notice the difference, that much more. 

Thus, I'm pleased. Oh, and the first bit size that I'll test is 1 / 8 inch b/c the set has  ' 2 ' . Why ? Dunno. Most common ? Most breakage ?

In my defence, from a woodworking - DIY message board.

It is so nice using quality drill bits. You can tell just by looking at them that they're going to drill better. Straight, nice clean edges ( on the sides as well as the tip), and no burrs. I've seen so many Import drill bits that were full of chips, burrs, and bends -- and they were brand new. Even the grind on some of them wasn't even centered or symmetrical, so the point was closer to one edge than the other.

I'm a big fan of cobalt drill bits. They're a little harder and more heat resistant than regular HSS bits, and do a much better job on tougher metals. There is a tradeoff between hardness and brittleness, though. Harder bits drill harder metals, but they're more prone to breakage if misused. Low carbon steel bits are less likely to break, but they don't work at all on harder metals, and they are prone to bending. To me, a bent bit is about as useful as a broken on

 As well, someone else mentioned keeping a stock of 1 / 16 and 1 / 8 inch bits b/c these get used and abused more. Aha, 2 -  1 / 8 in bits makes sense. Oh. And apparently, the 2 could have different type points [ right ! I knew that ]

No comments:

Post a Comment