Saturday 21 July 2012

fish tayles

I only have to write about 100 more of these to hit 365 posts. Bet you can't wait.

Brit. couple land sturgeon 12 ft long and 1100 #. The headline from the Nanaimo newspaper ( British Columbia, Vancouver Is ). The sturgy was reputed to be the biggest fish caught this year in N.A.

So, my two bass from Fri morning, don't seem that impressive. Except, I didn't have a guide and I wasn't using some smelly bait such as chicken liver.
My fish ate plastic. Oops, my fish don't sound so bright. Now it was colourful plastic and the plastic was presented nicely. I layed out that cast right to the fallen log.

Weather at the cottage was splendid. The day was slightly overcast and temp hovered around 24 C ( 75 ? F ).
Oh, on the time and temp board, you can see from the highway, I noticed that 16 C and 61 F seem to be the same. So, you reverse the numbers.

We are multi-temperature scales in our house. The news gives us temperatures in Celcius but our house thermostats read F. The tech who installed the thermostat suggested F,  b/c you can more easily adjust temperature in the house. Celcius would cause bigger swings in temperature.

Back to QMH weather. The temperature at night went down to 8 or 9 C so the place cooled beautifully through the night.

However, we are due for more sticky weather. I would say we expect three to four stretches of hot / humid in the summer.
Last year, we may have had one H/H.
The lawn at the QMH looks like the African veldt, when the poor animals are migrating to find food.

This morning, I caught a perch on a spinner bait. To properly picture this, imagine a wire contraption whose dimensions span your hand ( well, my hand actually ). And the fish was ten inches, colourful but ten inches. This story doesn't end well for the perch. Perch was breakfast. Pan fried perch and an egg all over home fries w/ sauteed leeks.
Oh, I am desperate to use up the leeks. Bought a bunch b/c these chefs said that leeks are so versatile ( and expensive ). Well leeks and perch were pretty good. the egg was for the other 6 inches that the fish wasn't.

Perch are my favourite food fish up there.
The perch can be very aggressive and strike most baits. The perch are real suckers ( ha ha, piscatory humour, got it right ) for spinners ( these are smaller usually 1 - 2 inches long, lets say ).
In fact I used to have a perch lure. Sort of guaranteed to catch perch. Haven't thought of that lure in years. I should rig one up.
Another invention of mine was a fly that I made for fishing. Now fly tying is an art. The creations can be strikingly beautiful and materials costly e.g. deer hair etc.
One day, I noticed my mother throwing out a J - cloth, pink in colour. I grabbed that J - cloth and shredded it to act like fly tying tinsel. I made a J - cloth fly. The fish couldn't leave that J fly alone. Unfortunately, you can't patent creations made from used J -cloth, something about Proctor and Gamble having prior proprietary rights. That cloth must have  absorbed all kinds of foods and oils and salts. And I still have trouble finding pink J - clothes.
Maybe, P& G, found out what I did and stopped making pink ones. I didn't think the fly was that good that I would stop production.

No comments:

Post a Comment