Monday 1 June 2015

All Will Be Revealed

...........  maybe

The story : I had a mishap while driving a rental car in England.
Prior to renting the car on line , I signed up for a ' stand alone ' policy for car insurance.
The cost was 30 GBP : this included ALL damage to the car , loss of use to me and Hertz plus health coverage up to 100 000 GBP for the driver.  I was required NOT to take any coverage offered by Hertz as part of  the stand alone insurance agreement.

Did all this , fought like a wounded animal at the rental counter to get them to accept that I was not using Hertz' insurance in particular and not using a credit card CDW either. Finally , the counter guy goes  " OK , we can do this "  Thank you muchly.

To my credit , I was firm and thoughtful - alright , maybe a little out of character - but the counter guy caved after ten minutes
Oh , the insurance waivers Hertz were selling were upwards from 12  GBP a day ( $22 Cdn )  close to 72 GBP for the rental period. and that was basic not premium 

I guess that I hit a post or object turning around in a car park ( English term ) - recall , says that I remember going up a little on turning in the car park. Real slow but I went up a bit.
I found the damage later when we stopped for a bite to eat and to rest.

For the first time , I opted to send all the forms and info via the internet. Scan and send. Very organized
BUT I cheaped out and sent what I thought was proof

NOPE , failed to prove a) that I declined the waivers from Hertz and b) its hard to tell from the forms what and where the damage is.
I mean the accident report that I sent says ' scratch '. However , prior to sending the forms , I remember saying to myself  ' how do they know where the damage is ? '
They don't.
Oops 
Now after , 2 phone calls , I recognize the error of my ways -- mea culpa , mea culpa ( says a Buddhist )

We shall see said the Zen Master

BTW : I've been over the car accident paragraphs about 3 times
proof reading and simplifying
If you can't figure out what I was saying - don't sweat it
But I tried , really

The gist of the story , Hertz or whoever else  ,does not sell insurance. Hertz can provide a damage claim waiver that reduces the amount that the renter is liable for.
However ,  unless you take Hertz' premium waiver coverage , the renter's liability could be $1 000 to 1 500. and even if you take the premium coverage , Hertz can claim loss of use for the vehicle while being repaired - and most CDW s don't cover this type of claim
Spooky , real spooky

However , I took the stand alone policy for protection against a major accident. Had to. The 130 GBP that I paid is way less than the deductible usually found w/ CDW ( even w/ the credit card ) 

Ah ,you bought , did you Ohio  !!!

A note here : Listening on the radio , oldies kind of station , the song was by Tracy Chapman. Went to YouTube and listened again. Great singer and songwriter. Alright , I'm a little slow to the dance
...she is good though - listen to ' Fast Car '

Weather : sunny , but cool still unsettled looking but shaping up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment