Sunday 4 August 2019

Build a Box and

... the world will beat a path to your door

Really ?
Well, I'm proud
A box ?

The ' sitrep ' as they say in the movies.
The Ridgeline has a fold up backseat that creates space behind the front seats. The space can take luggage for example. 
I've been using a window planter plastic box for storage and organization in that place. The planter is a little short ( 11 " ) for the larger side behind the driver.
The space is approx 33 " by 11 " and 8 " deep. To replace the planter I found a tomato box that fit width and depthwise but was still really short.
OK but inadequate.

Yesterday, a re-jigged the box situation - I built a box that fits almost exactly. Using the tomato box.
The tomato box is reinforced < double walled >
I cut 1 x 2 " wood straps to length. Then I cut holes at the corners top and bottom on one side of the box to accept the strapping. I used light bolts to attach the strapping to the box itself.
Then I cut smaller strapping to form a free box end at 30 " using slightly longer but still light bolts and nuts. 
Thus, I've got a tomato box for one side w/ its walls and an open frame to hold stuff like the owner's manual and stiffer objects.
The pros : 
cost was $ 4 ( the rubbermaid bin is $ 50 )
its collapsible ( unbolt and pull apart )
b/c if you need the whole length under the seats the containers need to be stored someplace.




The cons : 
- looks homemade ( but its under the seats )
- not really a box to pick up b/c its open on one end
- b/c I left the side on the box where the strapping          goes through the space is limited at tht end
  however its nothing to cut the end out if needed
  but the way it is - the extra wall makes that side          stronger
  

Weather is fine again. Rain is due in 2 days but not now

No comments:

Post a Comment