Friday 23 August 2019

Only

" Only one life, what does it mean
.....
why does only one life make such a difference "

the words of Jimmy Webb

I woke up early ->

and listened to CBC

Eek ! Turkey, what a place. A Muslim country (?) and forcibly deports ethnic Syrians

For a lighter listen : Amy McDonald ( Scottish ) singer and her take on ' Dancing in the Dark '. Why so neat ..... great voice w/ that brogue AND she sings it slower and you can actually get the meaning of the words. When Springsteen sang ' Dancing... ' - I think you hear the words but w/ AM, it makes sense.
Next was Anneke Van Giersbergen ( ? its spelled wrong for sure ) doing ' Time after Time ' , the Cyndi Lauper song. Very nice job

The overnight temperature was cool verging on cold.

Alright fishing re-visited. 
The fish that I caught over the Sunday - Wednesday excursion were all victims of one method and it wasn't drop shot rigging.
I went back to a  'work around ' rigging or fishing hack that I made up a few years ago.

I have all kinds of theories about fishing - yes, you have probably heard them all or will.
Here goes

Things weren't going too well. Few hits and fewer fish. I had tried this brownish plastic stick bait ( usually reliable ). The plastic was chewed up a bit.
I was going to toss the used up thing ...... then !
Wait, the scent that they put in is likely in the plastic
- why not cut it open and use it.
But being used up, certain parts were OK other chunks too beat up.
I cut the stick bait shorter. So basically, out of a 6 in worm thing, I get two strips of brown about 2 1/2 in long and skinny.
I slid the first piece over the jig head. The plastic is so thin that it barely stays on the jig. Well, I go for it.
And so does every type of fish. I caught perch, sunfish, rock bass ( these are smallish ) THEN a largemouth bass slams the jig. Not a giant but a pounder for sure.
Yes, something that works.

Well, I was doing so bad this past few weeks
Why not ! go back to fishing hack #1

Starting Sunday when a pike hit the ' hack ' rig and many smaller fish, I had a good four days.
Monday, smallmouth bass and another pike went for the ' hack ' rig.

Now, you see the beauty of the ' hack ' is that if you use a new stick bait for this - you get 4 pieces out of it. The cheapness keeps me in.

Thus a $1.20 or so plastic stick bait gives 4                  ' wrigglers ' or 30 cents a bait < can' t even touch that if you buy ' smaller  'grubs b/c they are a $ 1 apiece >
I thread the thin plastic on the jig and then cut the tail piece lengthwise - for wiggle.

Tuesday, the over slot walleye took the ' hack ' then a pike ( that was a pike a day ) and the smallmouth jerked the rod tip down



that smallie didn't want to give up - all you heard was laughing and screaming. I was even sitting down eating corn ships when the smallie hit. For the first few minutes, I couldn't even stand up b/c I couldn't raise my arm high enough to stand.

The best part as I've said is that everything goes for the ' hack ' when the biggies aren't playing - sunfish, rock bass etc are.
And for a finale on Wednesday - a keeper or slot walleye for food. M is pleased w/ that

Gorgeous day it was today. ' Summertime and the living is easy ' Gershwin

No comments:

Post a Comment