Sunday 11 August 2019

from 2 planks

to me

A warm and slightly humid day. Called ' seasonal ' I guess

For a Sunday, a blessing and he segues into .................

Every now and then I run across a YouTube video that takes the starch out of my snarky irreverent view of life. 
The song that starts this thread is " Mercy Now "
penned by Mary Gauthier, American songtress.
She'd be shaking w/ laughter at the songstress epithet b/c she has called herself the biggest queer to ever appear at the Grand Ol' Opry.
Well, in an interview w/ Sarah Silverman on ' I Love America ' she reveals the history of ' Mercy ...
Her tale starts ' I was feeling kinda low and I mentioned to my sponsor ( AA ), I really didn't feel life was giving me what I want '
The sponsor replied ' you know Mary w/ your history
< street person, drunk and inmate > you really should be grateful..... at least you're not getting what you deserve given events in your life'
Then Mary agreed and yes ' I could use a little mercy now '  Dada ! a song is born
BTW, the assistant to SS said ' its the saddest song that I've ever heard '.
Thus, when I'm feeling down from now on - you got it 

I'm singing ' Mercy, Now ' in my head.
Out loud and I just might get ' what I deserve '

To wit, the famous toast...
' we may not get what we ask for
we may not get what we need
but please don't give us what we deserve '

On YouTube, I did listen to ' Mercy, Now '
< written in Canada, BTW >

' Copperline ' by James Taylor 
< I always think that you look like him >

' Kicking Down Your Door ' and ' Mismatched Eyes '
by Whitehorse

make way for the welcoming committee
" oooh, oooh, kicking down your door "

" For heathen heart that puts her faith
in reeking tube and iron shard
All valiant dust that builds on dust
And guarding, calls not Thee to guard
For frantic boast and foolish word
Thy mercy on Thy people Lord  "

not by MG but Rudyard Kipling
' the Recessional '

the opening line is "God of our fathers ..............




No comments:

Post a Comment