Tuesday 18 December 2012

All My Life's....

                  a circle
Sunrise to sundown
the moon rolls through the night sky
til the daybreak comes around
There are no straight lines make up my life
And all my roads have bends
There's no clear cut beginnings
And so far no dead ends

The words of Harry Chapin. In fact, what was called the Chapin family anthem.
The CD of the presentation of HC's award from Congress is still one of my most listened to music items.

Being fundamentally Buddhist, the lyrics are quite apropos  religiously,for me.
Now, I can segue into the topic of musicians performing outside their ' normal ' category. I'll bet that statement will rankle some feathers, pigeon-holing musicians. Oh well, caution to the wind. Why should to-day be any different.
In the HC special, Pat Benetar , rocker ? sings HC's ' Shooting Star '
I think the chance of a singer doing a cover that is better than the original or writer's version is fairly rare. PB is earthy and earnest w/ a feel for the lyrical content. Amazing.
Next, k.d. lang or however she is spelling her name nowadays. In a tribute song to k.d., Stompin' Tom Connors speaks of ' crazy k.d. lang, she jumps around like a' rangutan,crazy k.d.lang '. In the movie " Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil " k.d. sings Johnny Herndon Mercer's ' Skylark ' again, great feel and depth, sung as a ballad not k.d.'s country / rock normal (?? ).
And Yo Yo Ma when he steps outside the concert hall and performs " Here Comes the Sun " w/ James Taylor or " My Favourite Things " w/ Chris Botti.
Have you accessed, ' Touch the Hand of  Love ' Renee Fleming ? on youTube ?  get with it ' probie ' - ala Gibbs in NCIS. Yo Yo Ma on the cello too ! RF is an opera singer, unless you thought that I was off topic.
moi, off topic mais non mes dames and monsieurs.
I enjoy Madonna's cover of Don McLean's  ' American Pie '.

And on ' Vinyl Tap ' , the radio show w/ host Randy Bachmann, I've discovered that many songs that I grew up enjoying are covers themselves.In fact, stylistically and rhythmically some songs are covers of covers. Well ,its OK, I'm young and innocent or at least two of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment