Saturday 31 December 2016

The Year Was 2016

... my mom died
other s that I knew as well

Normally , we do a little in house snacky thing at dinner
But to - morrow , family arrives for New Years Day

Growing up , mom made stuff 
chow mein ( best that I ever had )
chicken cutlet
shrimp
and a soup called Ozoneh
basically Matzo ball soup

A fish flavoured stock of miso is prepared
and rice cakes are added to soften and get flavour
M calls it mucilage

We cheat , and order everything in sushi and Chinese food
chow mein obviously and we remember the real thing
in times long past

What we have left is our stories
and that is good
maybe the best

Segue into my anecdote. In university , there was a student rag that came out weekly. ' Gelius ' was the sports reporter. Covering College Intramurals must have been poor fodder for a part time journalist. My friend and co - player scored 2 goals in lacrosse. Gelius wrote ' Petrosoniak , son of electrosonic ( 2 ) and my name , a Jewish delicacy put in soup ( 1) '
hence my Matzo ball connection

Happy New Year !!


No comments:

Post a Comment