Wednesday 3 October 2012

Barter

Nowadays, bartering is not unusual. There is no tax and no paper trail.
What is a good trade for 2 turtles. On the promo trailer for ' Swamp People ' , the answer is 1 rabbit. Who knew.

Previously, I commented on the fisherman's weather poem:
Wind from the North
Wise fisher goes not forth....... etc

A book on fishing sits on the nightstand. Its a compilation of fishing and fishing related stories. It has biases, favouring older ( 1800 - 1900 s ), British and trout and salmon anecdotes. Having never caught a roach, bream or tench, some stories are hard to connect with.

However, I'm glad that I didn't fish when these stories were writ.
One article discusses observing your legs when wading the river. Basically, if you legs are ruddy, thats OK but if the legs look blue or black, thats dangerous. When I fished for steelhead ( rainbow trout ), we wore neoprene waders. Yes, I got cold, very cold. In fact, many times, I warmed my feet back up in a bucket of water. All right,all right ! we've determined that I never could be a Mountain Man.

I guess you figured the black and blue guys wore woolen pants to wade... and mostly barefooted. Whew, not for me. Scotland in February, no way for wading.

On weather, one story dealt w/ predicting the weather. Nope not the wind as a prognsoticator but sheep, swallows, bees and spiders.
I'm sure a lot of the items are derived from folklore, and blended into a way to relate to fishing.
Haven't wandered through a field on the way to fishing so that I could observe the sheep feeding.
Swallows swooping low to the ground means rain.

This AM, wind was easterly swinging to the N as the morning progressed. I hooked a walleye but he got off. The walleye was oversized for sure.... really,.... I probably had to let him go anyway. However, sporadic rewards again, 1 fish, thats it.

Chores beckon. Which roughly translates as ' you better get some work done - since you did nothing yesterday '

No comments:

Post a Comment