Saturday 20 October 2012

Blather

or blither, either. Basically,its how my mind works. Tangential, sequitorial maybe but out there and not deep.
To wit, pet peeves. This 'e-machine' laptop.
I used to carry an 8 # something Dell Studio 19 "laptop to Fla. Heavy, baby, heavy.

Two years ago, I saw an ad for a 8 " laptop / netbook for 180 dollars at Shoppers Drug Mart ( this would be Walgreens, down south ).
I went to look on 20 X the points day. So many points have a cash value. Well, by the time that I got out of there, the points equalled $45. The little laptop was 138 dollars.
Consumers Reports, says the laptops w/ the ' Atom' processor will be disappointing. This disappointment comes at a price of $400.

In essence, we're happy as larks w/ the e-machine, weight 1# something. The program is Windows Starter and it doesn't do much. But for e-mails ( the e-machine is a typewriter ) and minor searches, its the bees knees.

Complaint, e-mach is plugged in right now. the battery is supposed to be good for 3 1/2hrs - that must be in Singapore or wherever it was made. Here in Canada, 2 1/2 h is probably it.

However,it does explain why at airports or Starbucks - people covet those seats near an outlet to plug-in their laptop.

A friend commenting on his sister and the problems that she has w/ her laptop battery, says she keeps the charger plugged in, whenever possible.
Apparently ,this frequent charging of a partially full battery, lessens battery life. And those batteries are not cheap.
The friend who knows computers ( he builds desktops ) actually takes his battery out of the laptop and uses the laptop plugged. I would think this kinda kills the portability but I've seen a lot of houses where the laptop is a ' desktop ' computer just smaller.

In fact, I'm going next door to help the neighbour w/ his printers. He has 3 printers - one colour, one ' all-in one ' and one for everyday. Crikey, I think one printer is headache enough. On top of that, he wants to control them wirelessly from a different floor of the house. he uses a wheelchair.
A. and I ( well you can imagine, how much help I was, ' gofer ' would pretty much cover it) spend 3 1/2 h two weeks ago to get to the point where it couldn't be done w/ the equipment we had.
Now, w/ new peripherals( neat eh, how I can learn the ' speak ', I'n going over to try a new way to hook up the printers.

M. saw me read the headlines on several articles and then said ' Don't you read the story ? ' You the reader of this blog would know my answer.
" why bother, make it up. they'll have to correct it later anyway " You know  ' spin on spin '.

There is a facts of the world page, Saturday.
Washroom triviata from England, this week.
11 % of hands w/ contamination equal to a dirty toilet bowl.
8 % of credit cards as dirty as toilet bowls
99 % of men surveyed said they wash their hands after using the loo.
32 % of men seen on electronic media washing their hands after using the washroom.

For sugar lovers, a diet high in fructose ( found in many items as a cheap sweetner ) won't just make you fat but stupid as well. Nope didn't read the article. The title is titillating enough.

For you southerners. Here are the headlines in the Torstar.

Republicans Can't Hide Mitt Romney's True Colours.

Obama Needs Another 4 Years 
The gist of the article ( I scanned quickly ) Geo W took 8 years to ruin the country, I'm giving Barrack another term to make it right.
footnote : The focus of this article was Ohio.

Our TorStar is predominantly liberal ( according to M b/c the TorStar is a rag to me), so maybe the reportage is biased that way. Crikey ,of course, its biased, what am I talking about.

Day broke cool but sunny and penny bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment