Wednesday 15 August 2012

Changing Underwear...

The expression goes " as often as changing underwear ". Well, daily of course, however, I don't recall throwing out a pair of underwear in 41 days. Forty-one , you say, the length of time Evelyn Lozada was married to Brad Johnson ( ex- Dolphin ),never heard of either ( recall I'm not on Facebook, not linked in, as they say).

Hard-wired, I'm sure its my new nickname, went out again and 1 fish, yep just enough to get me to come back. Pleasant morning.

I fish close to home. I'm usually, within three minutes of home port. The reasoning goes like this.
I watch as boats come to fish our stretch of the river. They generally come from the south, meaning the lake. These guys are running ten to twenty minutes to get to us.
Now, should I run 10 to 20 minutes to get to their place. Nope.
As in the buy local movement, I fish local.
The foreigners probably catch more fish than I do ( this is a common refrain in many countries, the other guy is depleting the fish stocks ).
My neighbour who wholesales boats to dealers, most likely sold mine to the fishing store where I bought my Stratos.
He figures my boat is overkill, 75 HP and 18 ft able to run at 40MPH. The Stratos can cruise at 34 MPH and this is gas efficient speed ( probably,  5-6 miles per gallon ).
He figures that I could get by with a lot less. Tough, love my boat. The greatest fishing platform you could ask for.

When buying the Stratos, I priced the boat I wanted w/ upgrades. 16 ft and 40 HP 4-stroke, live well, trolling motor. The price came within $ 1000 of the Stratos.
We're talking aluminum boat - bare bones.
no contest. But its overkill.

So Stratos stays close to home. Now where are all those fish the foreigners seem to find.

My neighbour here in Scarberia, knows Rice L very well. He had never fished the river. He was amazed at how comfortable it was fishing the Otonabee. You're almost always able to hide from the wind ( fisherman's greatest bugaboo, wind ) and the assortment of fish in a small area convinced him its the place to fish.
Nice, being right occasionally. Sort of a sporadic reward, huh.

Weather is warming up and is humid. rain is threatening. Everything here is growing again, maybe too much. Whine, moan, whine.

No comments:

Post a Comment