Thursday 2 August 2012

MMR

MMR - more movie reviews,  I always hope the acronym will make you curious as to the body of the post - does it work ?

' Season of the Witch ' w/ Nicolas Cage ( nee Coppola ) and Ron Perlman. Two discouraged knights at the time of the Crusades are coerced into delivering a witch to a distant monastery. This movie has demons and possession with a little twist at the end. SotW got lousy reviews. Entertaining 6 / 10. Informative 4 / 10 , another side to NC 7 / 10. I bought SotW at the used DVD place. I lost money.

' War Inc ' pulls us back to my favourite movie topic. John Cusack doing John Cusack. A parody of the U.S. war effort in the Middle East. The focus is the corporate infringement in the region's politics and the arms build up. If you've seen ' Grosse Pointe Blank ' WI is a farcical repeat. Joan Cusack gets to be a assistant to her brother ( as in GPB ). The love interest is Hillary Duff ( of who we're not sure ) and Marisa Tomei gets to flirt w/ JC, a mercenary developing a heart, maybe. Used DVD, thank god. I'm out a little here, too.

" Thief of Time " the cheapest of the lot. I pulled even here. ToT is a Masterpiece Theatre American series program. The plot hinges on the archeology and underground business that takes place in and around the four corners region of the U.S. w/ the focus on the Navajo reserve and the native police force.
Starring Wes Studi and Adam Beach as the police and Graham Greene as an enterprising native w/ a dubious reputation. Tantoo Cardinal gets a little peek of a cameo. Overall, you feel as though somebody went through a lot to produce this story. Occasionally, the acting seems a little wooden or static but its got a little pop too.

' The Wrestler ' , yep , its about a wrestler near the end of his career. Actually, past the end of his career. Mickey O'Rourke plays Randy the " Ram " Robinson a legend in the wrestling world. Marisa Tomei is the love interest or not love interest. You get to see MT perform naked, thats not why I bought this DVD. MO does an OK job generating  empathy and appreciation for his career and his relationship w/ fans and acquaintances. You don't need to be wrestling fan to watch this but it helps ( I guess ). I think you can get disallusioned as you watch the story unfold, not so much by the facade of the wretling game but life in general. MT looks good naked. 

Overall, not a good set of purchases. However, going through the stacks at Deja Vu, I'm reminded my purchases aren't that bad. you should see some of the tiles that I skip through.

I forgot that I was going to buy ' John Carter on Mars ' , there must be some of those that got turned in. You got it , JCoM was a block buster bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment