Monday 27 August 2012

Post #263

I know you can't believe it either, 263.
I mean 21 or 88 would have been not bad.
I'm hoping # 300 will be possible.  this blog could be cancelled due to lack of fan interest or sponsorship, giggle, giggle.

The bass are feeling hungry. I changed line on my main reel ( a 2000 series Stradic, of 1988 vintage and a GLX Loomis 7 ft, med-light rod ). the 40 # braid is still very stiff and casting poorly.
However, the bass don't recognize such fine nuances I guess. They're smacking away. Maybe its the approaching front that came in last night ( 5 lmbass - one small, and one that was trying real hard to reach 4 # ).
This AM, 3 lmbass hit and one was close to 3#.
My casts aren't accurate. For the most part I'm getting within a foot or two of cover but the bass are coming out to feed.  Good for me - not good for them.
I seldom use 40 # test ( 12 # line diameter ) b/c of the stiffness. It takes about two weeks for the line to soften and not much either.
I couldn't find 20 # braid anywhere, 20# is much easier to cast - way more supple.
I use a leader of fluorocarbon. Fluorcarbon is very clear ( low vis ) and sinks much faster than braid.
For me the advantage of a leader is that I don't need a weight to sink my plastic. further if I snag then I can break off the leader and get back the braid instead of leaving 20 ft of line stuck to a tree ( my favourite item to snag on - trust me I'm world class at snagging trees and branches.

Drizzle - off and on, damp and coolish.
Clean up day.

No comments:

Post a Comment