Wednesday 5 September 2012

Is.....aac ?

 I guess Isaac leftovers blew through here yesterday. Rain all day, quitting about 9 PM.
Short name and a long rain.
Foggy, this morning approx 60 F for you southerners. Sun broke through approx 9 AM w/ a nice little breeze, that couldn't make up its mind what direction it wanted to blow from. Started out mostly north and was coming SSW or so about 10 AM.

Fishing news. Got my first bass on a spinnerbait in 6 weeks or better. There are minnows everywhere. I'm using a small minnow imitation called a ' baby fluke ' which is apropos b/c thats my fishing style - fluke.

Also, this morning, in a clear space in the weeds. I got a hit and I knew it was a walleye from the start. Good weight and downward pull. Got my first look and right away, I said " too big ". Yep, measured, 2 inches over slot and picture and he was gone.

Slot is an arbitrary designation by the Min of Natural Resources. Above and below slot size the fish has to be released. This walleye was over the 28 " that is allowed.
Still, a great catch.

The walleye flopped all over the boat. The boat smells like fish. But, Dad's favourite line was " only one thing worse than a boat that smell likes fish - a boat that doesn't smell like fish."

I visited the dump, to get rid of gasoline and used oil. I was willing to pay $ 10 to get rid of the stuff. Arrived and explained, the attendant said gas here - oil there. bingo, bango, done.  And I've been worrying how to rid of oil and gas, especially, gas. Everyone said that the transfer stations took oil but no one knew what you did ( container etc ) and people said " Gas " and it sounded as though I had a disease. I don't and the gas is gone.

Noise. The summer rush is over. Monday, the 'bee sounded and looked like Indianapolis Speedway. Tuesday, started quiet and was a little noisier toward evening.
All day to-day, the 'big boys ' bass rigs w/ 200 - 275 HP have been tearing around, up and down the 'bee.
Normally, this would not be good for me. The ' big boys '  zoom from place to place, searching for good bass water, hit and run. they stir up the cover and the bass typically get pretty gun shy.
Since, I'm fishing mostly, walleye right now, there is a better chance that they'll have little effect on my fishing.
I like how, ' I'm walleye fishing now ' b/c I've switched to lighter gear. But its true, I'm in a different mode.
I'm looking for weed edges and clear spaces between the weeds and slightly deeper water.
As opposed to all summer, when the priority has been wood and weed cover and 'skinny water' was OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment