Sunday 9 September 2012

Tron - legacy

At the Red Box ( DVD rental kiosk ), I rented 'Tron - Legacy '. Oh yeah, whoosh. Maybe, I'm supposed to be swept away by the colour and sound, the graphics and not be to concerned w/ 'getting it ' b/c I don't. welcome to my world.

For 1 week, I was w/out my QMH cell phone w/ a Ptrbro exchange. The cell is needed, so neighbours on Thompson Rd can dial me up w/out having to dial a T.O. area phone ( long dist ). There is a message centre associated w/ the #. No one calls - really, Harvey phones but everyone else e-mails or sends Bob from next door. Bob next door ,comes over in person. I had the best of intentions.
Actually, I was thinking 2 cell phones is an advantage for me. I carry a cell ph in my shirt or jacket while fishing. If I should fall in or drop the phone at least there would be a spare in the boat that stayed dry.

Or as in the case of Sam - when I jump in to save my fishing rod - not. Anthony and I decided neither of us was jumping in to save any fishing rod .

So, we searched all the likely places. In truth we searched all the unlikely places too, b/c I have a penchant for leaving things
-well - leaving things. On top of a box, on a shelf, in a shoe - things include my coffee.
Searching for my coffee is always interesting.
M finally, said ' check the car, again. Both of us went at it. Within 2 minutes, the cell was back in my hands. Probable cause, tossing the computer bag into the car. The cell phone in the mesh pocket flipped out landing on the floor between the bench seat in the rear and the door but toward the rear.

M's BD is 9 / 11. We didn't celebrate her BD for a couple of years or did so in a reserved fashion. I'm sure there are other dates for other BD people that evoke the same reticence
e.g. tragedies in your family history.
It didn't seem right to celebrate on 9/11.

On the literary front, I finished " Uther " a sequel to the ' Camulod ' series by author Jack Whyte. ' Camulod ' or ' the Dream of Eagles ' series is about Arthurian legend.
JW takes historical fact and weaves a new saga surrounding the myths and legends of Arthur.
As an example, the Camulodians re-discover the stirrup. The extra leverage and stability imparted by the stirrup alters the utility of a mounted warrior. In fact, the Camulodians create a functional cavalry at a time when mounted fighters used the horse to move from place to place and then dismount to fight.

Uther, son of Uric ( son of Ullic ) represents an union of Camulod and Cambria.
The Pendragons of Cambria befriend or co-operate w/ the citizens of Camulod. The grandfathers - Ullic and Caius Brittanicus - of Cambria and Camulod respectively, form a loose coalition across the miles - say, 2 or 3 days journey apart.
Merlyn Caius Brittanicus ( yep, the Merlin ) and Uther Pendragon are cousins. Sisters from Camulod marry within and w/out the Camulod community and Veronica Varrus marries Uric Pendragon.
Uther and Merlyn grow up as brothers.
Uther captures and falls in love w/ Ygraine married to Gulhries Lot of Cornwall. To-gether they plot and cause the demise of Lot's ambitions. Lot himself falls victim to a blood feud w/ a disgruntled friend.
Along the way, Arthur is conceived and both Uther and Ygraine die in places separated by 4 or 5 miles and 2 to 3 hours.
The baby , Arthur, is found more or less by accident. Merlyn Britannicus finds Arthur and swears or predicts ' man of the golden eyes, no one may remember Uther or Merlyn but the world will know of Arthur '. The ' golden eye ' reference is to the trait of eye colour passed down from the Roman line of Camulod.

My overwhelming thought is how different the JW story is than Arthurian legend - knights and armour, and maybe not opulence but some kind of grandeur, that is Camelot. And when I start to think there is no hope - suddenly your back in the legend or you can see where the legend may have started.

Now, I'm reading " Clothar , the Frank " a related book to the " Camulod " series but , of course, focusing on Clothar. I've read all the books in the series. however, 20 pages into ' Clothar... ' I can't seem to place, Clothar. In truth, its been some time since I read the first 5 books, so ,maybe it will come back to me - once JW makes some reference that will bring it all back.

The weather to-day is a harbinger of the fall. The air is cool,partly cloudy but there is a briskness that I associate with the fall.
As well you know, the fish have turned on. The fish are feeding more aggresively.

No comments:

Post a Comment