Saturday 15 September 2012

Julie and Julia

In the movie J&J , Julie starts a cooking blog based on her attempts to produce / make every recipe in the  'Julia Child, American Cookbook '. She cooks and blogs.
What does this have to do with to-day ? So glad ,you asked, vous etes tres brilliante.

I made muffins, aujourdhui, and now wait for the little suckers to cool. And I type.
These muffins will not be sugarless ( last batch, missed out on the sugar, the morning after poker is not the best time to make muffins, basically, I can barely find the coffee).

Report on Friday and ' wonderland ' . A and I did go for dim sum at ' Very Fair Seafood Restaurant ' There is a Chinese name but the English sign is biggest. And its the only one that I can read.
You sit and the wizened old grand dames of the serving staff, wheel their trolleys through the tables and bawl out some words.
I know 3 names now of food ( when they sing out in Chinese ).
I feel very secure sitting there. I wisely point when I recognize something. My best move is to shut up or ask A for whatever I need.
Yesterday, I shut up. A ordered Chinese broccoli from the kitchen ( special order ) and we got ribs , hakkow ( shrimp dumpling ), shui mai ( pork cupcakes where the muffin paper is egg noodle ) and Chinese bean sprouts ( well, they taste like and look like bean sprouts ) and ' easter egg ' dumplings. Easter egg dumplings are deep fried dough balls w/ a pork mixture filling. Easter eggs look like easter eggs, duh. The outside is fuzzy looking and its a salty / sweet almost dessert. we were full, we are always full.

Over munchies we discussed batteries, deep cycle batteries for the boat. In the end we ( A ) decided that $ 256 is a waste of money. The expensive battery is lighter by 3 # and spill proof. My situation only requires for me to get the battery down to the boat, once in the spring and back up in the fall. Suffice it to say , A is younger and stronger.
Oh well. The battery at Costco is $88. The batteries will both last the same length of time. Actually, a lie. If treated properly, re-charged every 30 days, the expensive one could last a year longer. Trust me , no one re-charges every 30 days. At best, some guys put the battery on a maintainer circuit. I re-charged once last winter.
The upshot is that  I will wait until next spring and buy a Costco battery.  In the meantime, yesterday , I drove 40 miles and visited 3 Costco-s looking for the right battery. All out of stock.
We did our Tim Hortons coffee break to finish out the day.
What did you do ?

We slaughtered 4 more people on the roads in the GTA. 1 motorcyclist confronted a tractor trailer - bike lost. 2 semi-s met crushed 2 people and a speeding car jumped the median for the last of the victims. Hey ,we're not slouches up here. we kill w/ impunity and cars.

The big headline in the Torstar. ' Dream of Playing Dorothy ', refers to a new reality show where the contestants vie to be the next ' Dorothy ' in the stage production of " the Wizard of Menlo ". kidding that was T.A.Edison. ' the Wizard of Oz ' is being produced here in T.O.

BTW - on the game show ' Jeopardy ' on 'power player ' night, the final question was on 'Inventors'.
Normally, this last question ( answer ) is hard. so, I pre-guess the answer ( question, if you know what I mean ). " Who was Eli Whitney ? ", my guess.
Their final statement " he was reputed to have saved the economy of the south, but this boom only lasted 5 years ". Yep, EW. M was flabbergasted. Now, M is usually flabbergasted by moi. This time, it was good.

To wit, I decorate. or more bluntly, hang stuff  up, w/out permission. At QMH, I ' re-decorated ' and she liked it. Wow.
My philosophy is summed up by the ' Dogs Guide to Living w/ People ' this poster, is on the ceiling at the dentist's. One of the sayings is ' better to ask forgiveness than permission ' Dada. My feelings exactly.

Oh yeah, much apologizing goes on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment