Sunday 30 September 2012

See, Told Ya...

I probably should have waited before posting re: the re-union. Thus, 'see I told, ya '

I repeated the line " Yes, I know who you are ? " all night on Friday. I am very good at remembering faces therefore I knew who they were. And I know voices, memories come rolling back when I hear a voice that I remember.

And when I say " knew who they WERE " what I really wanted to or should have said was " you live in my memories and I see you still as you were 1975 or 6 or 7 or........ "
And I remember good things, the potential , the kindness, the person that they were.

In the movie ' Chariots of Fire ' the funeral scene for Harold Abrams features the soaring hymn ' Jerusalem '. ' Jerusalem ' is called the unofficial National anthem of England. They sing it there w/ passion and enthusiasm.

However, the lyrics mystified me. Until, I discovered the author was William Blake.  WB was a visionary, seer, mystic and most likely delusional; a prolific and iconic author / painter - renaissance persona.

" And did those feet in ancient times
  Walk upon England's mountains green
  And did the face, the Holy lamb of God gaze upon fields of......  "
There is a reference to " build Jerusalem " and of course, the memorable " bring me my chariot of fire ".
Where did this come from ? Oh yeah, Blake but he didn't just make it up.

In the Bible, Jesus is mentioned up to age 12 and then again as a thirty year old man. The bible is a hodge-podge of writings selected by the synod of Nicea ( ? ) by the church. The Bible reflects a view of history needed by the church.

The origin of Blake's words was the possiblity that Jesus lived in England for those missing years. Joseph of Arimethea owned land in England that was connected w/ tin mining. And perhaps the teen-aged Jesus was brought to England for safety or education.

As J.R.R. Tolkien pointed out, the history of conquest in England obliterated the written and oral histories of the founding or existing cultures. Remnants survived but not enough for a continuity capable of creating a mythic past or powerful legend. Thus, Tolkien and the English people need the reinforcement of the LotR or the Jesus story. 

Weather is sunny / partly cloudy and cool w/ the ever present possiblity of rain.

P.S. this is post #297

No comments:

Post a Comment