Monday 15 February 2021

Love to Bake? 🍰

 Lehman s was a day late and a dollar short - yesterday was Sally Lunn bun Round 2. Howver it was a good lead in for today

Swept through the CBC on line sections. In brief, the numbers are 19 F feels like 10. Approx 3/4 to a foot of snow spread over 20 h til Tues AM late ish. Health experts are advising against taking pain killers pre vaccination.
Obviously, for the 99 % of Canadians un - vaccinated yet, timely. For the U.K., its like Lehman s dollar short business

Alrighty, tell us about Round 2. I was efficient. Mostly. I turned the oven on early to warm the kitchen < yeast things rise better at 85 F >. I created the ideal rising oven in a microwave using a bean bag warmer and a large bowl of hot water. I had all ingredients out on the counter. The only improvement would be to pre - melt the butter < that step took longer than I thought >.
The proof is in the pudding, analysis.
Sally Lunn 2 was lighter, less crusty and slightly sweetish. I had cut down pre- set baking time from 38 min to 34. And in fact, on checking w/ a toothpick actually pulled out Sally L2 at 30 min or so. Please recall that I had halved the original recipe. The overall effect was excellent.

In final overview. Success. However, I'm sort of glad that I didn't try Sally Lunn in Bath. Its taken me several tries to find the appropriate accompaniment to Sally L.

I tried honey, honey and cinmmon, strawberry jam and butter and jam. The winner by far : strawberry jam w/ vanilla yoghurt. The yoghurt adds a second flavour and makes the whole experience more moist. I'm also wondering if corn syrup might do the trick. It is pure invert sugar but I grew up using Beehive golden corn syrup. Corn syrup is my go to for pancakes and French toast.

Sally Lunn, Bath bun
Rising, rising, rising
the light and airy one
How to serve you
Seems the quest
Jam and yoghurt
Seems the best

Second go round
Streamlined try


No comments:

Post a Comment